GD&T in SAP
Here is how to get GD&T out of SAP
Starting within an Operation, whether it is in a Routing or an Inspection Plan, create the Basic dimensions and then create the GD&T control frame features. Once complete, test your solution and provide to the customer.
For this example, the Basics are ballooned features 1, 2, 4 & 5 and the Control Frame ballooned features 3 & 6.
1. Create the first Basic Characteristic; Set as Quantitative and maintain the Control Indicators.
(“Defects Recording” not activated since Basic dimensions are theoretically exact and cannot be rejected)
2. Enter the Target value, UoM, and Decimal places.
3. Enter Sample Procedure, UoM and Base Qty.
4. Repeat 1-3 for other basic dimension.
5. Create the Control Frame Characteristic; Set as Quantitative and maintain the Control Indicators.
(Select “Cal. Charac.” to enable GD&T Calculations)
6. Enter the Target value, UoM, and Decimal places.
7. Calculate the Control Frame as a Formula. Use the Hot Key to view a list of variable formula parameters to use.
- On paper this calculation would look like ~ 2 √ ((Deviation of first Basic)2+(Deviation of second Basic)2)
- In SAP this calculation would look like = 2*(SQRT(((C70010-A00010)**2)+((C70020-A00020)**2)))
- Formula interpreter: True Position =2*(SQRT((( ppnnnn – ppnnnn)**2)+((ppnnnn-ppnnnn)**2)))
The variable ‘pp’ defines the formula parameter and ‘nnnn’ represents the characteristic from which the value of the formula parameter is taken.
- “C7” = Target value of characteristic, “A0”= Measured value for single unit, “SQRT”= √, **= exponent
8. Maintain the Defect Codes
9. Enter Sample Procedure, UoM and Base Qty.
10. Save and create an Inspection Lot for testing.
11. Enter Basic Dimensions and have SAP Valuate
12. Once valuated select the GD&T characteristic and calculate it by clicking the “Evaluate Formula” icon.
13. Valuate and Save. SAP has calculated GD&T!!!
SAP valuates per the parameters and accepts or rejects the feature. The table below was used to ensure it was being calculated properly with different results, as well as, requirements.