In order to create multiple materials at once, you should have access to a function like
- eCatt tool
- LSMW(Legacy System Migration Workbench)
- BDC (Batch Data Communication) recordings
- BAPI (Business Application Programing Interface)
You can also use mass maintenance transaction MM17 to create views in some cases. But you must keep in mind that not all of the organizational levels should contain the same data (MM17 requires that all data for the materials and organizational levels you select should be the same).
Mass creation is never considered to be end users responsibility.But as a module specialist you may need to work on MM17 . In case of LSMW, BDC or BAPI, it is considered to be developers or consultants work. So you do not have to understand in detail, you just have to know the concept, and that there is this kind of possibility for mass data maintenance.
You can use MM17 for mass changing of material master data (if something can’t be accomplished by this transaction it can be done using LSMW, BDC or BAPI). Step 1)
- Enter transaction MM17
- Select the data type you need to change, for example, we need to change a field in general data.
Enter the material range or list for which we want to change the data
- When clicking on the button shown below – you will get the Select fields screen.
- Check the appropriate field (we are changing base unit of measure for our two materials).
- Click the arrow pointing to the left to add the selected field to the list of fields to be changed.
- Click the OK button.
Step 4) Now we are presented with the next screen where we can input our value to be transferred. Let’s say we have maintained PAL – pallet as the base unit of measure for our TV sets of 24″ and 32″ and we need to change that to PCS – pieces.
- Enter the value you want to copy in the box.
- Click on the column heading.
- Select the button, to overwrite the old values by “PCS”.
Now your settings are saved, and your material master data is changed.